Henry Coleman III made some big news over the weekend when he revealed his top 5 that included Virginia Tech along with Duke, NC State, Ohio State, and Michigan. He had this to say about why each school made his top 5.
- Duke: Coach K and I have talked about my role and how I can come there a be a leader, help them win a championship, and how I can have a role like a Matt Jones, or a Justice Winslow. Also, Jalen Johnson and Jeremy Roach have stayed in touch with me, and I have talked to them a lot over the past couple weeks.
- Michigan: I like what Coach (Juwan) Howard is starting and how they could be back on top really quick because he is a guy who knows basketball inside and out.
- Virginia Tech: They have been on me from the very start. Coach (Christian) Webster was one of the first to offer me. I like what Coach (Mike) Young is bringing in and what type of culture he has created. They see me as a wing in their system.
- Ohio State: They have really spent time making me a priority, and texting and calling me a lot. I like what Coach (Chris) Holtmann has done over the last couple years, and they see me coming in and having a major role.
- NC State: Coach (Kevin) Keatts and Coach (James) Johnson have both been on me from the very start and really love what I can do on and off the court. They say that I can be a guy who really changes the culture for NC State.
Currently, Coleman has two official visits scheduled to Duke on the weekend of August 31st and Virginia Tech on the weekend of September 14th when the Hokies' football team host Furman, using a football game weekend as a prime official visit opportunity to get the full VT experience.
When Coleman does visit, it won't be his first time visiting the Hokies since the new coaching staff arrived, an encouraging that the Hokies not only have built a strong rapport from the recruiting trail but also from hosting him on campus and getting to show him what a Mike Young program looks like in person.
Coleman added that he does plan to take all five of his official visits before making a decision in either "late October" or "early November." He does have an idea on what the key factors will be when he makes his collegiate decision.
"The culture, the academics, the coaching staff and how I fit in the surrounding area and society," Coleman said.
Henry Coleman III also has a close connection to Virginia Tech as his father
played football for Frank Beamer during the 1990s. That has led to Coleman spending lots of time in Blacksburg giving VT "a lot" of appeal because of the potential to build a family athletic legacy at VT. Additionally, Coleman told us that his family connection to VT might have "a lot" of influence when it comes time to make his decision.
Coleman is projected to different positions at the collegiate level by these programs and recruiting sites with some, like the Hokies, seeing him as a wing, and others, including the recruiting sites, rating him as a power forward. However, Coleman doesn't have a preference for position with his focus being on helping his team win.
"No I just want to get on the floor be the best player I am, and help the team out the best way possible," Coleman said on whether he has a preference to play in the post or on the wing.
Henry Coleman III not only has shown the production of a future high-major star but also has the mindset coaches look for as someone simply focused on helping his team. Some on the outside may have written off the Hokies' chances, but based on Coleman's comment and already scheduled visits, it's clear that Virginia Tech will be a top contender with the opportunity to allow Coleman to build on his father's athletic legacy right next door to the field his father started building it on.
Henry Coleman III in the Recruiting Rankings
Nationally, Coleman is ranked as the 33rd best recruit by 247 Sports
, 39th best by 247 Sports Composite, 42nd best by ESPN
, and 47th best by Rivals
. At power forward, Coleman is ranked fifth best by 247 Sports, sixth best by the 247 Sports Composite, and seventh best by Rivals and ESPN. In Virginia, Coleman is ranked third best by 247 Sports, fourth best by 247 Sports Composite, and fifth best by ESPN.
Henry Coleman III's Offer List (According to 247 Sports)
- ACC: Virginia Tech, Duke, Florida State, NC State, Pittsburgh, Virginia, Wake Forest
- Big 10: Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio State, Penn State
- Big 12: Kansas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU
- Big East: Georgetown, West Virginia
- Pac-12: Arizona State
- SEC: LSU, Vanderbilt
- AAC: Cincinnati, East Carolina
- Conference USA: Middle Tennessee State, Old Dominion
Photo Credit: Harley Taylor
Stay up with The Tech Lunch Pail for the latest on Virginia Tech. Like us on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter. Subscribe to our email updates.