After seeing Virginia Tech basketball gain three commits this week, the Hokies' football program decided to join in on the fun gaining their 18th 2019 commitment from three-star RB Tahj Gary.
Gary is the Hokies' second 2019 RB commit alongside three-star Floridian Keshawn King
, and first overall commit from the state of Georgia in this class. Gary was on campus for the Hokies' primetime game against Notre Dame and will likely take an official visit in the coming weeks. With Gary on board, don't expect Virginia Tech to add another running back to this class.
Over the past few months, Gary has been one of Virginia Tech's top offensive targets with VT being considered the frontrunner by many for a while. While the Hokies have been a frontrunner for Gary for weeks, his most recent visit seems to have helped speed up the timeline and get Gary on board before he takes an official visit to Blacksburg.
The Hokies have been quieter in the state of Georgia this cycle but since offering, it's clear that Zohn Burden has made Gary a high priority not only among running backs, but also among his targets on his Georgian recruiting territory.
Congrats to Tahj Gary on his commitment to Virginia Tech.
Tahj Gary in the Recruiting Rankings
Among running backs, Gary is ranked 35th best by Rivals
, 40th best by the 247 Sports Composite, 43rd best by 247 Sports
, and 50th best by ESPN
. In the state of Georgia, Gary is ranked 63rd best by Rivals, 66th best by the 247 Sports Composite, 71st best by 247 Sports, and 77th best by ESPN.
Tahj Gary's Offer List (According to 247 Sports)
- ACC: Virginia Tech, Boston College, Georgia Tech, Louisville, North Carolina, NC State, Pittsburgh
- SEC: Arkansas, Kentucky, South Carolina
- Big 10: Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Purdue
- Big 12: Kansas State, West Virginia
- Pac-12: Oregon State
- AAC: Cincinnati, East Carolina, Memphis
- Mountain West: Colorado State
- Conference USA: FIU, Florida Atlantic, Marshall, Texas-San Antonio, Western Kentucky
- MAC: Ball State, Buffalo, Eastern Michigan, Miami (OH), Ohio
- Sun Belt: Appalachian State, Coastal Carolina, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, South Alabama, Troy
Photo Credit: Harley Taylor
Stay up with The Tech Lunch Pail for the latest on Virginia Tech. Like us on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter. Subscribe to our email updates.